Thursday, May 30, 2013

Job 10



Plate 10
The Vision of Eliphaz

The Peak is over; the peak of devilty and punishment. What remains is creative, forgiveness, growth, development and final Fulfullment.

Plare 8
from Adelaide Univ 


The Engraving


For God speaketh once yea twice
& Man percieveth it not
in a Dream in a Vision of the Night
in deep Slumberings upon the bed
Then he openeth the ears of Men & sealeth their instruction
That he may withdraw Man from his purpose
& hide Pride from Man
(Job  33:14-17)
For his eyes are upon
the says of Man & he observeth
all his goings
(Job 34:21)
I am young & ye are very Old wherefore I was afraid
(Job 40:6)
Lo all these things worketh God oftentimes with Man to bring
back his Soul from the pit to be enlightened
with the light of the living
(Job 33:29-30)

Look unto the heavens & behold the clouds
which are higher than thou
If thou sinnest, what
doest thou against him?...If thou be
righteous, what givest thou him?
(Job 35:5-7)


The context of this scene:
The words of Elihu take up Job 32-37; Blake has extracted  various verses in his plate; but here is a salient passage from the Bible:

Job 32:
[4] Now Elihu had waited till Job had spoken, because they were elder than he.
[5] When Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, then his wrath was kindled.
[6] And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid, and durst not shew you mine opinion.
[7] I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom.
[8] But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
[9] Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.
[10] Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion.
[11] Behold, I waited for your words; I gave ear to your reasons, whilst ye searched out what to say.
[12] Yea, I attended unto you, and, behold, there was none of you that convinced Job, or that answered his words:
[13] Lest ye should say, We have found out wisdom: God thrusteth him down, not man.
[14] Now he hath not directed his words against me: neither will I answer him with your speeches.
[15] They were amazed, they answered no more: they left off speaking.


Summarizing: the colloquium among Job and his three friends which take up roughly Chapters 4 through 31.  At that point Elihu comes in to more or less finish the colloquium.  Blake's later posts will address the later chaptersl

No comments: