Friday, November 29, 2013

bible3 Daughters

In the fifth chapter of Genesis we read:

  1. [4] And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
  2. [7] And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
  3. [10] And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
  4. [13] And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
  5. [16] And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
  6. [19] And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
  7. [22] And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
  8. [26] And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
  9. [30] And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen.24
  1. [3] And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
  2. [13] Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
  3. [23] And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?
  4. [24] And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
  5. [37] And my master made me swear, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell:
  6. [47] And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? And she said, The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands.
  7. [48] And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son.


Blake used 'daughters of ...'  freely, strictly comparable to 'sons of...'
It occurs often in his poetry, but several of them are of special significance.

  VISIONS of the Daughters of Albion!


   MILTON:  
               
PLATE 1 [i] Preface.
The Stolen and Perverted Writings of Homer & Ovid: of
Plato &
Cicero. which all Men ought to contemn: are set up by
artifice
against the Sublime of the Bible. but when the New Age is at
leisure to Pronounce; all will be set right: & those
Grand Works
of the more ancient & consciously & professedly Inspired Men,
will hold their proper rank, & the Daughters of Memory shall become the Daughters of Inspiration.


PLATE 2  MILTON
Daughters of Beulah! Muses who inspired the Poets Song
Record the journey of immortal Milton thro' your Realms
Of terror & mild moony lustre, in soft sexual delusions
Of varied beauty, to delight the wanderer...


PLATE 5 (of Milton)
And this is the manner of the Daughters of Albion in 
their beauty:
To the beautiful Daughters of Albion! they sport before the Kings
Clothed in the skin Of the Victim! blood! human blood! is the life
And delightful food of the Warrior: the well fed 
Warriors flesh
Of him who is slain in War: fills the Valleys of 
Ephraim with    
Breeding Women walking in pride & bringing forth under green trees 

Plate 14
What do I here before the Judgment? without my Emanation?
With the daughters of memory, & not with the daughters of
     inspiration[?]
I in my Selfhood am that Satan: I am that Evil One! He is 
my Spectre! in my obedience to loose him from my Hells
To claim the Hells, my Furnaces, I go to Eternal Death

PLATE 10 of Jerusalem:                                                       
Into the Furnaces & into the valleys of the Anvils of Death
And into the mountains of the Anvils & of the heavy Hammers
Till he should bring the Sons & Daughters of Jerusalem to be
The Sons & Daughters of Los that he might protect 
Albions dread Spectres; storming, loud, thunderous & mighty 
The Bellows & the Hammers move compell'd by Los's hand.


Here are some daughters of Jerusalem:

Rosenwald LOC
Jerusalem plate 32

Notice that on the right hand bottom is something like the Westminster Cathedral (a symbol of creativity), while the bottom left has St. Paul's Church a symbol of conventionality or conformance. The naked woman is Jerusalem of course with three 'daughters', and the veiled woman is Vala, her shadow or contrary.

No comments: