Thursday, April 17, 2014

Milton 13




Rosenwald LC
Milton Plate 47
\
The fiery figure is Los and the one kneeled down is Milton.

Plate 22 [24]
Tho driven away with the Seven Starry Ones into the Ulro
Yet the Divine Vision remains Every-where For-ever. Amen.
And Ololon lamented for Milton with a great lamentation. 
 While Los heard indistinct in fear, what time I bound my sandals 
On; to walk forward thro' Eternity, Los descended to me: 
 And Los behind me stood; a terrible flaming Sun: just close 
Behind my back; I turned round in terror, and behold. 
Los stood in that fierce glowing fire; & he also stoop'd down 
And bound my sandals on in Udan-Adan; trembling I stood 
Exceedingly with fear & terror, standing in the Vale Of 
Lambeth: but he kissed me and wishd me health. 
And I became One Man with him arising in my strength: 
Twas too late now to recede. Los had enterd into my soul:
(Erdman 116-17)
Lambeth (where Blake lived before in 1800 moving to Felpham)
suggests that 'the moment' is 1800-03:

What Erdman calls the 'prophetic climax' "a vision of their imminent
return to London" (in 1803):

The poem ends with this apocalypse (Erdman 144):
Terror struck in the Vale I stood at that immortal sound
My bones trembled. I fell outstretchd upon the path
A moment, & my Soul returnd into its mortal state
To Resurrection & Judgment in the Vegetable Body
And my sweet Shadow of Delight stood trembling by my side
Immediately the Lark mounted with a loud trill from Felphams Vale
And the Wild Thyme from Wimbletons green & impurpled Hills
And Los & Enitharmon rose over the Hills of Surrey
Their clouds roll over London with a south wind, soft Oothoon
Pants in the Vales of Lambeth weeping oer her Human Harvest
Los listens to the Cry of the Poor Man: his Cloud
Over London in volume terrific, low bended in anger.(Erdman 143-44)

We're very close to the end of the poem with this apocalypse:

(Erdman 144):
Rintrah & Palamabron view the Human Harvest beneath
Their Wine-presses & Barns stand open; the Ovens are prepar'd
The Waggons ready: terrific Lions & Tygers sport & play
All Animals upon the Earth, are prepard in all their strength
[PLATE 43 [50]]
To go forth to the Great Harvest & Vintage of the Nations
Finis

No comments: