Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Milton 9

In a letter to William Hayley dated in 1803 Blake wrote:
"I know that our
deceased friends are more really with us than when they were apparent to our mortal part. Thirteen years ago. I lost a brother & with his spirit I converse daily & hourly in the Spirit. & See him in my remembrance in the regions of my Imagination. I hear his advice & even now write from his Dictate--Forgive me for expressing to you my Enthusiasm which I wish all to partake of Since it is to me a Source of Immortal Joy even in this world by it I am the companion of Angels."

This image is obviously a mirror image of the earlier one that had William whereas this one has Robert as its subject.  The two boys
were inseparable until Robert died.  You might say that much of what Blake thought about and wrote about was deeply influenced by the experience of Robert's death.  Blake found that the shape of their relationship before and after was essentially the same.

That's a good way that you and I may feel when a loved one dies.

Rosenwald LC
Milton 37

There is no text to this plate so we can only
describe what we see and consider its
implications.
Robert, younger brother of William Blake
died in 1787 when William was 30.
From his death Robert was thought to be
in constant contact with William.

In essence that indicates what William thought
about life and death, time and eternity.
He thought that both things were accessible.

Here you can find 56 posts addressing Eternity,
and you can find 56 posts addressing Experience.


No comments: