Friday, April 17, 2015

pilgrim 3

Here are the words with which Pilgrims's Progress begins:
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream. I dreamed, and behold, I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back.



  1. Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean ...


    64:6-12 The people of God, in affliction, confess and bewail their sins, owning themselves unworthy of his mercy. Sin is that abominable thing which the Lord ...
  2. Luke 14:33: In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.
  3. Psalm 38:4For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.
Plate 1 of Pilgrim's Progress
wikipedia
Some of his dreams show up above the den where he was sleeping.
Under the bed is a sleeping lion
(Look at the little girl)

The book was of course the Bible; look at this:

"I looked and saw him open the book, and read therein; and as he read, he wept and trembled; and not being able longer to contain, he brake out with a lamentable cry, saying, “What shall I do?” 

Acts 2:37
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

16:30
He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”

These biblical quotations supposedly appear throughout the story.

No comments: