Monday, May 18, 2015

Pilgrim 16


Blake's Pictures of Pilgrim's Progress
Plate 6
Christian Drawn out of the Slough by Help
Pilgrim's Progress
John Bunyan

{31} Wherefore Christian was left to tumble in the Slough of Despond alone: but still he endeavoured to struggle to that side of the slough that was still further from his own house, and next to the wicket-gate; the which he did, but could not get out, because of the burden that was upon his back: but I beheld in my dream, that a man came to him, whose name was Help, and asked him, What he did there? 

CHR. Sir, said Christian, I was bid go this way by a man called Evangelist, who directed me also to yonder gate, that I might escape the wrath to come; and as I was going thither I fell in here. 

{32} HELP. But why did not you look for the steps? 

CHR. Fear followed me so hard, that I fled the next way, and fell in. 

HELP. Then said he, Give me thy hand: so he gave him his hand, and he drew him out, and set him upon sound ground, and bid him go on his way. [Ps. 40:2] 

{33} Then I stepped to him that plucked him out, and said, Sir, wherefore, since over this place is the way from the City of Destruction to yonder gate, is it that this plat is not mended, that poor travellers might go thither with more security? And he said unto me, This miry slough is such a place as cannot be mended; it is the descent whither the scum and filth that attends conviction for sin doth continually run, and therefore it is called the Slough of Despond; for still, as the sinner is awakened about his lost condition, there ariseth in his soul many fears, and doubts, and discouraging apprehensions, which all of them get together, and settle in this place. 


Wherefore Christian was left to tumble in the Slough of Despond alone; but still he endeavored to struggle to that side of the Slough that was still further from his own house, and next to the Wicket Gate; the which he did, but could not get out because of the Burden that was upon his back. But I beheld in my dream, that a man came to him, whose name was Help, and asked him, What he did there?
Christian: Sir, said Christian, I was directed this way, by a man called Evangelist, who directed me also to yonder Gate, that I might escape the Wrath to come. And as I was going thither, I fell in here.
Help: But why did you not look for the Steps?
Christian: Fear followed me so hard, that I fled the next way, and fell in.
Help: Then said he, Give me thy hand; so he gave him his hand, and he drew him out, and set him upon solid Ground, and bid him go on his way.
Then I stepped to him that plucked him out, and said, Sir,

wherefore, (since over this place is the way from the City of Destruction to yonder Gate) is it, that this plat is not mended, that poor Travelers might go thither with more security? And he said unto me, This miry Slough is such a place as cannot be mended. It is the descent whither the scum and filth that attends conviction for sin doth continually run, and therefore it is called the Slough of Despond; for still as the sinner is awakened about his lost condition, there arises in his soul many fears and doubts, and discouraging apprehensions, which all of them get together, and settle in this place. And this is the reason of the badness of this ground.
It is not the pleasure of the King that this place should remain so bad; his laborers also have, by the directions of his Majesties Surveyors, been for above this sixteen hundred years employed about this patch of ground, if perhaps it might have been mended: Yea, and to my knowledge, said he, here has been swallowed up at least twenty thousand cart loads; yea Millions of wholesome Instructions, that have at all seasons been brought from all places of the King's dominions (and they that can tell, say, They are the best materials to make good ground of the place) if so be it might have been mended; but it is the Slough of Despond still; and so will be when they have done what they can.
True, there are, by the direction of the Lawgiver, certain good and substantial Steps, placed even through the very midst of this Slough; but at such time as this place doth much spew out its filth, as it does against change of weather, these steps are hardly seen, or if they be, men, through the dizziness of their heads, step besides; and then they are bemired to purpose, notwithstanding the steps be there; but the ground is good when they are once got in at the Gate.

No comments: